Gail Taylor Russell is an intellectual property, technology and sourcing and licensing attorney. With over 25 years in the technology field, Ms. Taylor Russell’s experience spans business management, technology and legal strategy.
Ms. Taylor Russell’s areas of domain expertise include:
- Structuring and negotiating complex transactions such as technology and IP licenses, strategic alliances, channel partnerships, joint research and development, distributorships and reseller technology agreements
- Intellectual property strategic planning and counseling
- Acquiring and enforcing U.S. and international intellectual property rights, including trademark, trade secret, copyright, patent and data privacy law rights
- Undertaking intellectual property audits and preparing intellectual property due diligence opinions, infringement/non-infringement opinions and validity/invalidity opinions
- Providing a range of guidance on general legal issues impacting technology and related companies
With experience working on behalf of a broad spectrum of technology companies, from start-ups to the world’s largest organizations, Ms. Taylor Russell brings clients a unique perspective on solving strategic legal issues.
Prior to establishing Taylor Russell & Russell, she led an Austin-based software company’s intellectual property strategy and served as general counsel. She was also the vice president of strategic alliances and vice president of operations for the company’s Global Government Business Unit. While in this role, she was responsible for the unit’s day-to-day operations in Texas, Washington, D.C. and in the United Kingdom.
Prior to practicing law, Ms. Taylor Russell utilized her advanced electrical engineering degree to manage multi-million dollar hardware and software engineering development projects at a Fortune 500 technology company based in Austin, Texas.
Ms. Taylor Russell is an adjunct instructor in intellectual property law at The University of Texas and is the author of numerous published articles on IP related issues. She is a selection committee member for the Texas Emerging Technology Fund, a $300 million State of Texas fund designed to grow and keep technology businesses in Texas. In addition to being registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Ms. Taylor Russell is a member of the bar in several states.
Bachelor of Arts -- Providence College
Master of Science in Electrical Engineering -- Northeastern University
Juris Doctor -- Boston College Law School
Master of Business Administration -- The University of Texas at Austin
- Adjunct Professor in Intellectual Property Law, The University of Texas at Austin, Software Quality Institute, Austin, Texas
- Registered Patent Attorney
- Texas Minority Counsel Program (TMCP), Steering Committee Member
- Texas Emerging Technology Fund, Selection Committee Member
Douglas D. Russell, Partner
Douglas Russell is an intellectual property, technology and sourcing and licensing attorney. Mr. Russell uses his hands-on technical, business and legal experience in the technology industry to provide his clients with a unique insight rarely found in most law firms. Mr. Russell has deep knowledge of computer software and hardware, control and data acquisition systems, electronic circuits and semiconductor device technology, among many other segments in the industry.
Mr. Russell’s areas of expertise include:
- Identifying, evaluating and acquiring intellectual property assets and enforcing intellectual property rights
- Researching and preparing licensing negotiations, post issuance issues and pre-litigation dialogue
- Acquiring and enforcing U.S. and international intellectual property rights, including trademark, trade secret, copyright, patent and property/technology licensing
- Undertaking intellectual property audits and preparing intellectual property due diligence opinions, infringement opinions and validity opinions
Mr. Russell began his career as an electrical engineer designing circuits for computers. He successfully managed a number of multi-million dollar product development projects and directed engineering efforts for several emerging technology companies. Additionally, he was an engineering development manager at a leading company specializing in distributed microprocessor-based automated metrology and inspection systems for silicon wafer manufacturing and computer disk drive magnetic media. He later directed the engineering development for a major supplier of computer-controlled thermal processing systems.
Mr. Russell is registered and licensed to practice as a patent attorney before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office where he prosecutes U.S. and international patent and trademark applications for domestic and foreign clients. Mr. Russell is an active member of the Texas, Florida and District of Columbia Bar Associations. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, the American Intellectual Property Law Association and the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers.
Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering -- Monmouth University
Master of Science , Electrical Engineering -- New York University
Juris Doctor -- Franklin Pierce Law Center
Master of Business Administration -- Bryant College
- Electrical and Electronic Engineers Association
- Registered Patent Attorney
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association